Choose Rooftop Solar With WhiteShark, Save Money With Subsidies
Are you worried of hefty electricity bills burning holes in your pocket then upgrade your house with Rooftop Solar Power Plant and save money by availing subsidies. It not only let you reduce your utility charges but also help you shell out less upfront cost.
But before we go into detail let us first see what a Roof Top Solar (RTS) system is & how does it work?
A Roof Top Solar (RTS) system consists of solar photovoltaic panels that generate electricity using sunlight to powers electrical gadgets.
There are two types of RTS- Off-grid and On-grid.
In case of Off-grid, you have a standalone solar power generating system without having any connection with electricity grid. Secondly, you have On-grid where your solar power station is connected o the utility grid. In the first case, the solar system works with a battery to store the electricity that has been generated and supplies power as and when needed.
In the second case, solar modules generate power as Direct Current which is then converted to AC by the inverter. This power is routed to utility grid from where it is supplied for daily use.
The most important feature of this system is the Net Meter which keeps tracks the outflow and inflow of electricity to and from the grid. At the end of month, the outstanding between the both is recorded and is provided with a bill.
While Off-grid solar systems work simple, in general, grid interactive RTS systems are categorized into two broad categories based on metering and settlement mechanism.
Net Metering: In this method, solar power harnessed during the day is completely utilized to power the consumer load and feed excess energy to the grid. When, where solar power is not sufficient due to cloud cover etc., the consumer load draws power from the grid. In this mechanism the beneficiary pays to the utility on net meter reading basis only.
Gross Metering: Under this mechanism, solar power generated during the day is directly fed to the grid. There is no interconnection between the consumer load and RTS. The utility pays the beneficiary for the amount of electricity supplied to the grid through rooftop solar on tariff fixed by the Electricity regulatory commission or on mutual agreement.
Benefits of Solar Rooftop Projects
- Reduces electricity bills
- 30% Capital Support from MNRE (to select consumer categories on first come first serve basis)
- Easy operation and maintenance
- Eco-friendly as no fuel required
- Long life for around 25 years
Below we give you a detail insight on how to avail subsidies on rooftop solar plant installation at your home.
Why Solar Subsidy & How It Works
In economic terms, subsidy is a benefit granted to an individual, institution or business, by the government in the form of cash payment or a tax rebate.
Subsidy is typically released to relax some type of burden, and is often considered to be in the general welfare of the public, which promotes a social good or boosts economic policy.
Subsidy in the emerging solar sector also works exactly the same way.
Renewable Energy has become a crucial section of agenda in India’s energy planning process as energy security and climate change issue takes centre-stage in policy arena. To realize this effect, the government has set aggressive renewable energy targets by putting in place several policy initiatives both at the Central and State levels for both grid connected & off-grid energy generation.
In this backdrop, solar energy is fast becoming the favoured option for the development in renewable power resources in the country.
A study carried out by the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) estimated that India has a potential of 748.9 GW of solar capacity including both ground mounted and rooftop solar projects.
India has embarked on ambitious solar mission to tap this huge solar potential in the country. As per a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA)’s India Energy Outlook 2021, India is on a ‘cusp of a solar powered revolution’. It unveils that solar power in India which now makes up just 4% of the nation’s energy will likely grow 18 fold by at least 2040. The development will see the country push out coal as its top electricity source.
Rooftop solar installations, the most favoured method to harness sun’s energy at the household level has been driven at the global level by incentives offered through various schemes like in the form of direct subsidy, tax credits, solar specific purchase obligations etc.
In case of Odisha, which witnesses around 280 to 300 days of sunshine year-round, the Global Horizontal Solar Irradiance average of about 4.5 to 5.0 KWh per square metre of area per day in the State gives it fairly good potential for solar power generation.
On similar lines, Odisha government with its chief nodal agency Odisha Renewable Energy Development Agency (OREDA) has also been earnestly promoting solar energy development in the State and also supporting Central schemes, to meet increasing energy requirement through various methods like generation through roof-top solar and other non-land based solar projects.
How Set Up A Rooftop Solar Power Plant with Subsidy?
The entire process of installing a RTS has 8 basic steps.
- Information accessing is the process of collating of all relevant and required information by the applicant for setting up the RTS.
- It follows the Application process which basically involves, two sub procedures – Application Access and Submission. According to the existing framework in Odisha, the application processing is done by the concerned distribution utility (DISCOM) for grid connectivity and if the applicant is eligible for subsidy and also intends to apply for it, the application process also involves OREDA for approval and disbursement of subsidy.
- The application access and submission is done offline at DISCOM level. Applicant can also download the application form through OREDA CRC but it is to be noted that the submission of application is done through offline mode only.
- Dully filled application form should be submitted at the sub-divisional office of DISCOM along with all necessary papers.
- After submission of application, the Division office carries out general screening and then registers the application with acknowledgement.
- Apart from the grid connectivity, if an applicant wants for subsidy, he/she also needs to apply to OREDA either in online or offline mode.
- Applicant can download the application form from OREDA CRC, fill up and submit the same to OREDA headquarters or he/she can also file the application through OREDA CRC web portal.
- Another most important step in the RTS installation is application screening for system feasibility which is carried out at OREDA and at the DISCOM level. While the OREDA performs general screening of application to inspect the feasibility of solar system for subsidy, the utility provider performs general and technical screening to ensure system safety.
- But the most crucial segment comes in the form of project installation. The applicants should identify and select appropriate vendors like WhiteShark Energy Pvt Ltd., the leading solar EPC company in Odisha for system installation. Project installation which also includes material procurement, checking all technical aspects like system feasibility is carried out by experts in the field of solar sector.
- Connectivity and synchronization is the last step of interconnection process which ensures that rooftop system complies with the measures for protection and islanding, phase sequencing, frequency and voltage variation compliance, DC injection etc.
- And finally, the Subsidy disbursement is ensured by the OREDA after clearance of all processes.
- Maintenance of the system is ensured for a period of five years by the vendor.
Process for availing subsidy (for captive RTS projects)
- Applicant will have to fill the information relevant for subsidy only in MNRE prescribed subsidy form (FORM-B or C) and submit it to OREDA
- OREDA will screen the form and issue a subsidy sanction letter to applicant.
- Applicant will have to install the project and then upload copy of work completion report on web portal.
- OREDA will come for inspection and will release the subsidy.
- It takes around 70 days for completion of the overall processing of the project to installation and commissioning.
Similarly, while there is provision for availing connectivity of RTS system without subsidy (with Net Metering), here we will look into the procedure for availing subsidy and connectivity (for Net Metering based RTS).
- The applicant needs to fill the complete form including details regarding connectivity and MNRE Subsidy to both OREDA and DISCOM.
- DISCOM will screen the application and sign interconnection deal.
- It will conduct interconnection feasibility and issue NOC for net metering.
- OREDA will screen application and issue a subsidy sanction letter after making sure the approval from DISCOM.
- Applicant can then install the project by reaching out to trusted brands in solar EPC industry notably WhiteShark and then upload the work completion report to DISCOM and OREDA
- DISCOM officers will come for site inspection and commissioning of project
- OREDA after receiving work completion report will visit the location for inspection to ensure the compliance of MNRE subsidy guidelines.
- It will sign joint inspection report with applicant and solar system installer.
- The regulatory body OREDA will ensure the commissioning of project and initiate the process of releasing the subsidy
Who can Avail Subsidy?
The Government of India (Ministry of New & Renewable Energy) provides capital subsidy upto 40% of the benchmark cost. The subsidy is available for residential, institutional (hospital, educational institute etc.) and social sector. Commercial and Industrial consumers are not covered under the subsidy scheme.
How to Apply for RTS with Subsidy Online?
Visit the OREDA official website www.rts.odisha.gov.in to file application for availing Rooftop Solar System with Subsidy.
First generate login ID and password in the web portal. Applicant will have to register by providing basic details like Name, Mobile, Email, Correspondence, Site Address etc.
- Click Login/Register link
- Press Register Button
- Enter details
After completion of registration, applicant will receive Login ID and password in registered email ID
Applicant need to deposit application fees of ₹ 500/- to DISCOMs account through NEFT/IMPS or in Offline mode. He/she should save the acknowledgement receipt for filling the grid connectivity form
Applicant can now access the user account web page, and click on “Apply for Subsidy & Net Metering” tab.
One can access both subsidy and net metering forms
Likewise, on accessing MNRE Subsidy form, applicant will have to first select “who is filling applicant form” whether it is he/she himself/herself or the project vendor
Even though the applicant permits the selected vendor to fill the application on its behalf, the right of submission of application remains vested with applicant only
Then comes submit subsidy form
- Enter Project Details
- Upload Declaration Proof
- Fill Up Bank details
- Enter Grid Connectivity Details
- Click on Final Submit
Applicant will receive an auto generated acknowledgement from OREDA on its registered mail.
He/she can track the application status using the unique reference number provided by the agency
Documents Needed For Availing RTS Connectivity and Subsidy
Choose WhiteShark as your trusted Solar power system vendor for your Rooftop Solar Power Station.
WhiteShark is a leading brand in the Solar EPC sector in Odisha. We have years of experience in providing best-in-class solar installation services at the most affordable cost to people across the length and breadth in the State.
We are also an empanelled solar vendor under the Tata Power Western Odisha Distribution Limited and provide all kinds of solar products and services to people as per the norms of the OREDA and MNRE guidelines.
WhiteShark provides rooftop solar installations and maintenance under subsidy scheme. Interested applicant can avail the benefits of the subsidized solar power plant for their house upgrade by calling us immediately.
We want to highlight here how our solar subsidy scheme works. For example a customer who wants to install capacity of 1 kW will have to shell out Rs 70000/-. But if he/she intends to avail subsidy as per the MNRE benchmark rate of Rs 38000/- per kW, a subsidy percentage of 40% will be applicable on the benchmark cost and the calculated subsidy amount which comes out Rs 15200/- thereby will be deducted from the original price and the customer has to pay the remaining cost after the deduction which in this case is Rs 54800.
This 40% subsidy range will continue for all the systems will capacity till 3 kW. But if one wants to avail more power generating RTS, like for example 6kW. The following calculation will make it clear.
In case of 6 kW, the 40% subsidy scheme will count as usual but adding to that, a subsidy of 20% will also be applicable for each kW of extra energy. So for the first 3 kW, the subsidy amount will be Rs 45,600 and then Rs 7600 for each of the next 3 kWs. So in total the subsidy amount comes out to be Rs 68400. The amount the customer had to pay for a 6 kW system without subsidy would have been Rs 394800 but after the rebate, he/she would now have to pay Rs 326400.
Below is the detail reference chart for the subsidy scheme provided by the WhiteShark Energy Private Limited.